A comprehensive guide to every aspect of producing a show, from raising the money to creating a hit - now revised and updated.
This unique guide – the first 'how-to' book of its kind on the subject – offers comprehensive, clear advice to anyone producing or selling a show, whatever the venue or scale. Packed full of insights and tricks of the trade, it will give you the inspiration and confidence you need – whether you are taking your first steps in the profession or simply want to know what it takes to get a show on the stage.
Drawing on his own experience as a producer of theatre productions at every level – from university, via the fringe, to the West End – James Seabright takes you through each stage of the process:
- Having an idea for a show or getting the rights to an existing one
- Planning your budget and raising the money
- Booking your venue or a tour
- Marketing and selling the show effectively
- Getting the production designed, rehearsed and onto the stage
From the fundamental (dealing with contracts) to the frivolous (how to organise your first-night party), every aspect is explained with the help of illuminating examples.