"This enlightening book, full of pragmatic information, is an excellent tool for playwrights navigating today’s industry." —Indhu Rubasingham, Artistic Director of Kiln Theatre, London
"Chris Foxon and George Turvey—aka Papatango—are a phenomenon for playwriting good. Being a Playwright is packed with inside information that will kick-start your writing life. Written with insight and chock-full of useful advice, this will be a bible for playwrights." —Steve Waters, playwright and Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia
The essential guide to a career in playwriting, from the team behind the multi-award-winning Papatango, one of the UK's leading new-writing companies.
Writing a good play is only the first step towards becoming a successful playwright; it is just as crucial to understand all the practical and business elements of building your career. Being a Playwright transparently and honestly sets out everything you need to know, including clear and constructive advice on:
- Starting out, including training options and gaining practical experience
- Finding a playwriting model that works for you
- Getting your script noticed and connecting with industry decision-makers
- Developing a production-ready draft through redrafting and R&D
- Pursuing programming, commissioning and funding opportunities
- Approaching and working with agents and publishers
- Securing the best possible deal with producers
- Working with collaborators throughout the rehearsal process and previews
- Capitalising on a production, assessing its success and planning new projects
Drawing on Papatango's superlative track record of discovering and launching new writers – including BAFTA, OffWestEnd, Royal National Theatre Foundation and Alfred Fagon Award winners, many of whom have premiered worldwide as well as in the West End – and featuring tips from a host of industry insiders, this encouraging and accessible guide explores the opportunities and pitfalls of life as a playwright.
Whether you're an aspiring writer wondering how to break into the industry or a working playwright looking to move up to the next level, this is your road map for navigating the world of professional theatre.